Mother’s day is an occasion which is meant to convey our gratitude to the most important person of our lives, our mother. She is the one who takes great pains to bring us up and make all sorts of sacrifices for our well being. This important day falls on the second Sunday in May every year, and is celebrated with a lot of aplomb all across the world. This year, it is being observed on the 8th of May.
It is a fact that nothing we do can ever repay what our mothers have done for us. Therefore, making this day memorable is one of best things to do in order to express our love for them. This day was initially celebrated by the Greeks and ancient Romans who did it by praying for mothers and arranging feasts. In the US, it was first initiated by Julia Ward Howe. She is considered as a pioneer in making people aware of the same and she used it for spreading peace.
A few years later, it was Ms Anna Jarvis who made it special for all the mothers. Though she never had children of her own, she heralded the same, nonetheless. It was finally in 1914 that the decision to declare every second Sunday in May a holiday was taken. Since that time, there have been many changes made to the way it is being done. In the recent times, the day is characterised by giving gifts and mother’s day cards.
There is no other medium than greeting cards that gives us the chance to say something very big, yet in simple words. This is a phenomenon which is being continued for a long time, and still has a long way to go. What makes mothers day cards special is that they are the most heartfelt ones. In the following lines, we shall discuss the different elements of the same and how to make them better.
Elements of a mother’s day card
- The first thing one needs to decide is whether it is going to be a homemade one or one that has been bought from a store. There are number of choices if these are made at home. One can print the cards from the net and personalize the same with their own messages.
- The type of card also matters. Some mothers like themes such as flowers, etc. whilst others prefer pictures, cartoons, etc. Whatever be the choice, one has to be sure that the person for whom it is being made is always kept in mind.
- The message may be a poem, a saying or a personal story. It should be such that the mother is able to relate to the same.
- The way it is decorated is also an important aspect. It can either be simple with more importance to words or can be made bright with the use of a number of colors and other add ons.
- Some of them can also be made even better than the rest with the use of photos of the family. These are the most liked ones as nothing is more important to a mother than her loved ones.
Mother’s day cards are one of its kinds as they are meant for the most special woman of your life. Therefore, you have to take time out and identify the best card from amongst the lot. The day is celebrated across the world by all those children who wish to convey their love and affection, to their respective mothers and what could be more effective than saying it with cards.
Importance of greeting cards in general
There are many types of greeting cards for different occasions and they have to be chosen appropriately. Each one has its own importance. The following are some of them
- These cards depict the feelings like nothing else.
- They can be designed as per one’s liking.
- The messages can be personalized based on the recipient’s taste.
- There are a number of types to choose from.
- Accessibility to printable cards on the internet makes it even more exiting to create a card on your own.
Mother’s day is also known as Mothering Sunday in some parts of the world. It is widely celebrated in Europe as a Christian festival on the 4th Sunday in Lent. In 2012, it falls on 18 March. Though it has a different name, it is done by the whole family that comes together and the children give gifts and cards to their mothers, as a sign of their fondness.
In the present times, there are a few people who join together as a group and make mother’s day an event which is done on a large scale. They take the mothers out to a place of interest and the whole day is spent together since it is a Sunday. For all those who cannot meet their mothers on the day, an eCard or a card through post is ideal along with a gift that can be delivered at a specific time.
There are 48 countries in total that celebrate Mother’s day. What started as a day of festivity in the Western countries is now being treated as a special occasion in the whole world. Right from small children to adults, the day is marked to respect the spirit of motherhood. Those who cannot afford expensive gifts can also gift mother’s day cards by printing these for free from many websites that make the same available.
Before printing the same, one needs to make sure that the paper on which it is being printed is laid out well. Most of the printers are compatible with any sized papers. Another thing to consider is the folding. This is also an important aspect which will give it a good appearance and place the picture at a proper place.
One can get ideas of creating mother’s day cards from various websites. Check the same to improve the quality of cards.